Published October 16, 2018 at 18:20
Physical inactivity is responsible for one in six UK deaths (equal to smoking) and is estimated to cost the UK £7.4 billion annually (including £0.9 billion to the NHS alone).
Unfortunately our population is around 20% less active than in the 1960s. If current trends continue, it will be 35% less active by 2030.
Many people don’t realise that physical activity has significant benefits for health, both physical and mental, and can help to prevent and manage over 20 chronic conditions and diseases, including some cancers, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and depression.
Core principles for healthcare professionals
This ‘All Our Health’ physical activity information has been created to help all health professionals:
- understand specific activities and interventions that can prevent physical inactivity
- think about the resources and services available in your area that can help people get active
Making Every Contact Count (MECC)
Utilise the MECC approach to inspire positive change, and/or directing them where to go for further help where required.
All Our Health
Provides comprehensive information on what Healthcare professionals should provide in terms of information, advice and support around Physical Activity interventions at a community, family and individual level.
Digital prevention resources:
- NHS Choices has a range of information and support to help people get and keep fit
- One You has information and support to help people stay active
- Active 10 app helps individuals build 10 minutes of brisk walking into their routine
- Moving Medicine provides a step by step guide to conversations with patients about physical activity